At some point in the next month, the snow will melt and at some point, it will reach above 10 degrees and we’ll be able to send our kids back into the neighbourhood onto their bikes. The trouble is is that your child has grown, and now their knees are hitting the handlebars and now they need a new bike. Not to worry, Alberta Bike Swap is here to save your bank account, and not just for your kids because you need a bike too!
Alberta Bike Swap is a registered non-profit and gives people a safe place to sell, donate or buy a bike, and bike swaps are happening across Alberta in Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer.
“Bikes sold at the swap are safer than a garage sale purchase because our squad of volunteer bike techs perform a basic safety and mechanical check of each bike.” – Alberta Bike Sales
What do you need to know before you head to a bike swap? Well, that depends on if you’re buying or selling, but here are some factoids.
Selling a Bike:
- If you want to sell your kids bike, it won’t be accepted to sell if it’s from a box store (Canadian Tire, Walmart etc.). They do this for quality assurance.
- Have a bike that no longer fits your child and you’d like to donate that bike? They can do that too, please make sure the bike is in good condition and it’s is decent working order.
- It costs $2 to get into a swap and that money goes to a local charity.
- You don’t have to be there to sell you bike which for me is a win-win. If you’re just there to sell your bike, you just drop it off. Boom. Easy. There is a 15$ fee to put your bike in the sale, which ensures that only good bikes are going to be at the swap. No one is paying 15$ for someone to sell their 50$ bike. If you’re an AMA member, the cost to “rack” your bike is $10.
Buying a Bike
- Swaps. Get. BUSY. Get there as early as you can (see locations for dates/times below). You may be waiting outside so dress accordingly. The bike racks are set up at 6am in Edmonton and Calgary, and yes, you’re welcome to line up at 6am.
- There is a $2 admission, but kids 12 and under are free.
- They only accept cash or debit cards. No credit cards.
Locations & Dates
When: May 5, 2018
Where: City Centre Parkade, 340 10 Ave SW
When: May 12
Where: Kinsmen Sports Centre Fieldhouse, 9100 Walterdale Hill
When: April 28, 2018
Where: Exhibition Park North Pavillion 3401 Parkside Dr. S
When: April 27, 2018
Where: Exhibition and Stampede Wildrose Room Higdon Hall, 2055 21 Ave SE
When: May 11, 2018
Where: Salon B Westerner Park 4847A 19 St
For more information please check the Alberta Bike Swap website or their Facebook page.