Airplane travel with babies can be an anxiety-inducing adventure! Especially when your baby is under 2 years old and they are riding in your lap. I traveled lots with both of my children when they were babies and compiled this list of ideas that I’ve used personally to keep them occupied on those long flights.
This list is for babies aged about 8 – 18 months.
- Lots of favourite snacks to munch on – also new snacks to try out will create a lot of excitement and wonder as well!
- Coloured sticky notes to pull apart and stick around is always entertaining!
- New board books or tiny books for small hands.
- Magnetic sticker books.
- Aquadoodle is always a hit with the older babies.
- Wrap up little trinkets from the dollar store to let them unwrap on the plane. You’ll have to bring the wrapping paper and tape so you can do your wrapping after going through security.
- New small toys. Anything with new texture or interesting gadgets they can handle and play with will keep them busy.
- Stand and let your little one enjoy roaming around in your seat (if it’s safe of course!) Gives them more freedom than being confined to your lap.
- Walk the aisles periodically to let them explore and stretch.
- If all else fails, load some baby-friendly apps on your tablet or smartphone to keep them occupied or distracted.
Do you have anything great ideas to add to this list? We’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Jody is a mom to two highly energetic daughters. She owns a marketing firm in Edmonton, www.makinamarketing.
com, and is a travel blogger at www.worktravelrepeat.ca. You can find her on Twitter @holajody and Instagram @jodyninahyeg.